Capital city of the Incas
The Choquequirao Trek Peru takes you to discover the ancient and sacred sister of Machu Picchu in 4 days. This Inca complex is an excellent example of a ceremonial center for the Inca elite, dedicated to worshipping the gods of nature. This city was also the last refuge for the Incas for 36 years during the colonial period.
This religious center is comparable to Machu Picchu, considering its complexity, size the craftsmanship of its polished stone walls and stunning views. In fact, we know Choquequirao as “the sacred sister” of Machu Picchu.
This archeological marvel, in the Vilcabamba Valley, is surrounded by spectacular snow-capped peaks and flanked by deep canyons with dense vegetation. The Choquequirao Trek is very challenging because of its steep ascents and descents, but well worth the effort for its panoramic views. There are also fewer amenities and crowds, which is a prime motivation for many serious hikers who want to enjoy a more unspoiled experience.
Choquequirao Trek Peru will start with a pick up from your hotel at about 5:00 am, and travel by bus for about 4 hours to the small village of Cachora, where we will meet our horse and mule wranglers. They’ll load up the equipment and food and we’ll begin our trek.
The Choquequirao Trail is cut into the mountainside, heading towards the Apurimac Canyon, a deep canyon carved by the river. The scenery is dramatic and you’ll see many unusual plants. Late in the afternoon, we’ll arrive at the one of two possible campsites, Chiquiska or La Playa Rosa Linda.
Distance: 17km / 10.5 miles
Meals: lunch – dinner
Accommodation: Tents (2 people per tent)
Today we wake up very early again to have a filling breakfast to start our hike to cross the Apurimac River. Following the river, we have a steep ascent through a thick cloud forest towards our destination for about 4 hours.
We will have a substantial lunch after this morning’s tough climb and then take a well-deserved rest. We’ll arrive at the archaeological site of Choquequirao. You’ll have free time to explore, look for native animals, maybe even see a soaring condor, and appreciate the panoramic views across the Apurimac River Valley. We’ll camp close to ruins.
Distance: 14 km/12 miles
Accommodation: tents (2 people per tent)
Meals: breakfast – lunch – dinner
After an early-morning breakfast, you’ll have about a 2-hour guided tour of Choquequirao, learning about its history and function in the context of the Inca culture. We’ll return by the same trail to our campsite at La Playa.
Distance: 14 km/8.6 miles
Meals: breakfast – lunch – dinner
Accommodation: Camping (2 people per tent)
After our last delicious breakfast, we’ll start trekking up pretty early to avoid the hot sun during our steep ascent to Capuliyoq. Once there, we/’ll walk the last piece of the trail to Cachora and from there, take a bus back to Cusco arriving at about 8:00 pm at the bus terminal.
Please Note: All itineraries are subject to change due to unforeseen circumstances beyond our control such as extreme weather, road blocks, landslide, trail conditions, bureaucratic obstacles, earthquakes,flooding and more.
• Pre-departure briefing at our office or hotel.
• Collection from your hotel the morning of the trek departure.
• Tourist transportation from Cusco to the trailhead.
• Entrance ticket to Choquequirao.
• Professional English-speaking guide.
• 4-person tent for 2 people so you’ll have plenty of space.
• A foam mattress to put under your sleeping bag.
• Cook and cooking equipment.
• Meals as indicated in the itinerary (vegetarian option upon request).
• Horse wranglers & horses for carrying camping equipment, food, etc.
• Duffel bags for your personal belongings (maximum 7kg/15lbs per person).
• Dining tent with camp tables and chairs.
• First aid kit.
• Transportation from Cachora to Cusco.
• Breakfast on the first morning.
• Dinner on the last day.
• Sleeping bags (can rent them from us).
• Tips and gratuities for your trekking team (guide, cook and horse wranglers).
• Emergency horse in case you need it.
• A rucksack with a change of clothes for the whole period of the trip
• Original passport & International Student Identity Card (if applicable).
• Rain gear or rain poncho. Plastic ponchos can be bought in Cusco.
• Waterproof trekking boots are recommended.
• Sandals or flip-flop to relax your feet and for hot springs.
• Warm clothes, including jacket, fleeces, and gloves.
• Sleeping bag (it can be rented from us)
• Torch/ Flashlight with extra batteries
• Camera, with extra batteries
• Hat or cap to protect you from the sun and cold
• Sun block, at high elevation, is easy to get sun burn
• Insect repellent – minimum recommended 20% DEET
• A roll of toilet paper
• Snacks: biscuits, energy bars, chocolate, raw fruits, etc.
• Canteen with enough water for the first day.
• Your own medical kit with any special medications that you might require.
• Small towel and wet wipes
• Bathing suit for swimming in the river
• Cash for tipping staff and buy souvenirs.
• Walking sticks or poles (it can be rented from us).
This service is perfect for friends, couples, and small families because you select your arrival and departure dates, group size and most importantly, you set the pace to maximize your experience. This tour price is based on a minimum of 02 trekkers.
*Sleeping bag $20
*Hiking poles $15
*Extra horse if needed $100
We require a deposit of 50% to confirm your reservation.
There are additional fees associated with this method of payment, which will be paid by the client.
Receiver’s Name: DAVID
Receiver’s Surname: GUZMAN FLORES
Receiver’s Address: CALLE NUEVA N° 462
Receiver’s City: CUSCO
Receiver’s Country: PERU
Receiver’s ID: 42567695
After sending payment, please send us an e-mail with the following information: Transaction numbers: Money Transfer Control Number (MTCN, a ten-digit number).
If you’d like to pay via PayPal or a direct bank deposit, please note that a 10% fee applies. Please add this amount to the tour cost to cover the transaction costs. Our PayPal email address is: email@example.com
For all methods of payment, please include the following information in your reservation email:
* Copies of all passports.
* Start date for your trip.
* Indicate the name of your hotel in Cusco.